Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Clothesline Dyeing



These are fabrics that I dyed this week at a home of my friend Sonya during a Wild Threads Machine Quilters Group meeting. It was a splended play date.

When I dyed these I was trying to replicate the blended look that Laura Wasilowski from Artfabrik does. So I mixed procion dyes and put them in squirt containers, presoaked the fabric in soda ash, then wrung them out. They were hung on a clothesline outside and I squirted the lightest dye on the bottom third, then about a third higher I squirted the next darker color and let it run, then added the darkest on the top letting it also run. This is best to do on a day with no wind. I then let them drip dry. The next day I rinsed out as much dye as possible then washed then with synthrapol. I then ironed them dry instead of putting them in the dryer. I'm very happy with how they turned out.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. the yellow to orange kind of looks like sunrise.

    ReplyDelete