Monday, January 18, 2021

Exploring New Art Techniques

Exploring new to me art techniques has helped me this past year to work through a mild funk of depression after my mother passed. I wasn't depressed to a point of causing serious problems, but more of a malaise with my day to day need to create things that are usable and marketable.

I researched gourd making as I was sitting on a large quantity of gourds that I had purchased from an online local auction. I had played a little with acrylic pouring and had a bright idea to try the technique on the gourds.

I searched for examples online but found nothing. Maybe I'm the first person the do it. It is incredibly messy. My first dozen finished pieces sold very quickly and I've expanded into using alcohol inks for the outside of the gourds to achieve a different look. 

With the success of the alcohol ink use I was able to format a class to teach at the gallery I'm in. 

This was a great therapy for me and I was able to produce far more useable pieces for sale last summer. 

This also led to raiding my husbands deer antler box he had been saving for years. I'm fortunate he saved the smaller pieces and not just the monster bucks horn.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment